Sunday, May 24, 2015

Module 1

              The first chapter three chapters of Woolfolk are about the beginning stages of development and how teachers can best support their students' taking into account their individual students' as well as their stage of development.

        The first chapter highlights what it means to be a good teacher Woolfolk continuously highlights the importance of teachers being aware of student diversity.  "...students in classrooms are increasingly diverse in race, ethnicity, language, and economic level... (pg. 5)" This is true for my placement the students in my class range in race; the school overall is racially diverse. Their are many bi-racial students as well as Black, White, Hispanic, and Asian. Their is also a very active ESL pull out program in the school. Having had conversations with the ESL teacher she celebrates the students first language and their culture but also teaches them English and the importance of knowing English. It is important that ELL's don't feel stripped of their identity. This would be an aspect of good teaching that Woolfolk would promote. The school is also made up of a variety of economic backgrounds and living arrangements. Some of the students in the school are children of teachers and principals in the district while others live with their grandparents who work jobs that provide them with money just enough to support the family. It is crucial to know the background of students and celebrate their diversity.

          When it comes to Vygotsky's sociocultural perspective I think that he had some very good observations about how children think; I agree that interaction between peers is important (pg. 43). I believe that it is necessary to create a warm and welcoming classroom environment where students' can feel free to ask their classmates for help. My teacher helps to create a environment of unity among the students through the morning announcements. During the morning announcements the students gather on the carpet in a circle and would play a morning game after the announcements. I love that she had the students participate in these games because it helps make the students feel more comfortable with one another and gets them moving.

            When it comes to peer interactions I do not notice the formation of cliques. The students all got along for the most part although it is obvious which students are friends. I do not notice any students being shunned or treated negatively. The students are still at a stage in their life where they are able to interact with one another with no problems.

        Through the first three chapters of Woolfolk I have been able to notice some correlations in my placement in the diversity of the students and their different areas of development.

3 comments:

  1. I love that your ESL teacher celebrates the students' first language while also teaching them English. I would consider such a gift if I grew up learning more than one language, and I consider those who do as being blessed. That is such an advantage in today's society, and it's time that we recognize these talented students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your ESL teacher celebrates the students' first language while also teaching them English. I would consider such a gift if I grew up learning more than one language, and I consider those who do as being blessed. That is such an advantage in today's society, and it's time that we recognize these talented students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabrielle,
    It's great that your teacher recognizes the different backgrounds of the students. I think it is so important to make every child, no matter what their background, feel comfortable and safe in school. At my placement, there are many ELL learners. There is one particular student who speaks Indian as his native language. His parents do not speak any English at all, so communication between the teacher and parents is difficult. My teacher actually went the extra step to learn basic phrases in Indian. When she told me about this, she said his parents were really grateful that she took the effort to learn some words so that she could directly communicate with them. So to go along with what you mentioned, my cooperating teacher definitely does not strip her ELL students of their native identity. I look forward to hearing more about what you encounter at your school!

    ReplyDelete