Sunday, June 7, 2015

Module 3

        Since the school year wrapped up here in my hometown I am now at a different placement for summer school. I am working with Kindergartners/1st graders; Woolfolk chapter 7 and 13 are both very applicable to my placement as students are still learning about good classroom behavior and teachers are working on creating a positive learning environment for students.

      My school uses positive behavior supports for classroom management. According to Woolfolk when schools use positive behavior supports the disciplinary referrals decreases for all students (pg. 219). The students are given hoot tickets when they are caught following directions. The students respond well with the tickets every Friday they are able to redeem their tickets for goodies. What I like about the goodie cart is that their are many prizes to choose from with various prize values so a student with one hoot ticket can still receive a prize but the bigger prizes are worth more tickets. Therefore the tickets serve as a motivating factor, if they want a prize that is more expensive then they have to work harder to earn the tickets. I am curious to know if the tickets are a motivating factor for the 5th graders. I have not seen group consequences used with my class, behavior is usually on the basis of the individual.

     One of the teachers that I work with teaches students entering Kindergarten in the fall. Many of these students are unfamiliar with classroom rules and procedures. The teacher continuously reminds the students of the rules in order for them to stick them to memory. I am also reminding the students of correct classroom behavior; many of them like to get up from their seat and show me their work but I remind them the correct procedure for when they want my attention. Woolfolk talks about the importance of having the rules written down and posted (pg.422) since my students are unable to read, we verbally reinforce the rules. Since my school uses the PBS model rules are written around the school accompanied by pictures.

   The section that Woolfolk writes about on encouraging encouragement should be plastered in every classroom around the world. Encouragement is key for any class to be successful. I am always encouraging the students in my class and genuinely offering them praise for their work. Many teachers lack encouragement and in reality genuine encouragement can make all the difference for students.

5 comments:

  1. I really like the idea that the rules should be posted. Especially for students who are new to classroom procedures. To be able to check them for yourself, and know that the teacher isn't simply making up the rules as she goes would be a comfort to me. Furthermore, as you mentioned, the students probably would have a hard time remembering the rules from memory...
    In my school growing up I would say we were punished for bad behavior rather than being rewarded for good behavior. It was a mix of both but I certainly remember the punishments more than the rewards and I am perfectly OK with that because that is largely how the world outside of school works: punishment for misbehavior rather than rewards for good behavior (Although I do see the benefit of positive reinforcement as well..).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I have used token systems myself, I'm not a big fan of them. I think that often students cooperate in order to get a tangible reward, which seems sometimes to take the place of a feeling of success or satisfaction from doing the right thing. Sometimes then when the reward is not there, the right behavior stops. I guess that if tangible rewards are used, I would like to see a much more intermittent schedule of reinforcement, more of a pleasant surprise instead of a systematic expectation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have used token systems myself, I'm not a big fan of them. I think that often students cooperate in order to get a tangible reward, which seems sometimes to take the place of a feeling of success or satisfaction from doing the right thing. Sometimes then when the reward is not there, the right behavior stops. I guess that if tangible rewards are used, I would like to see a much more intermittent schedule of reinforcement, more of a pleasant surprise instead of a systematic expectation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I think positive behavior supports are good, I also feel that sometimes they can cause students to only behave a certain way in order to receive a reward. Because of this, they only understand that the behavior is good because it means they get a reward. When in reality, they should understand that it is good because it is the appropriate way to act in school. Not every class will give them a reward, so I think it is crucial for the younger grades to really make sure that the students learn appropriate behavior in order to prepare them for when they are in higher grades and won't be receiving rewards for things like this.
    I agree that encouragement is key for any class to be successful. Students benefit from hearing positivity. I also am always praising students for their work and you can really tell that they are proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hoot tickets given to the students is an example of the token reinforcement system mentioned in the reading (Woolfolk 265). It's good that the students are drawn to this, however, I wonder if this will cause problems for future classes and teachers. Hopefully students will not see school and work in return for an expected reward. Teaching kindergartners school rules can be really difficult. Yes, I noticed in most kindergarten and first grade classes, they utilize lots of pictures and colors to attract the student eye and understanding. Keep up the encouragement of students! Encouragement impacts students tremendously. I have a younger brother, who is considered a troubled student, and I occasionally have to have private talks with him to help bring his mind on track and explain the importance of why he should continue to try in school. I believe it does help him to set some goals and be motivated.

    ReplyDelete